Dec. 06, 2013 - Triangle restaurant news...that not everyone knows. Impress your co-workers at the water cooler.
Friday Fun Food Facts
TFG Holiday Promotion Winners - Week 10
• So we are doing this from now until the week of December 20th - drawing 3 people to win $20 Target gift cards. The winners are chosen from those that placed orders that week. This week's winners are - AnnaMaria Tate, Mary Crist and Ursula Littlejohn! Congratulations! Remember, you could be one of the winners next week or win the $250 drawing on December 20th! Happy upcoming holidays, and HAPPY ORDERING!
Featured Restaurant News
• Here is an event you are definitely going to want to get on your calendar for 2014. Two words: Beer. Bacon. That’s right, a Beer and Bacon Festival is coming to Cary's Koka Booth Amphitheater featuring at least 75 craft beers and 10 varieties of bacon (who knew?). The event will be held on March 29 from noon until 6 p.m.
Wake County Restaurant News
• The N&O’s Andrea Weigl reported that Vincent Barresi (Vincent’s in North Raleigh and Cucina di Milano in Morrisville), has signed a lease for the old Bogart’s space on Glenwood South. While the chef hasn’t been announced, Barresi is targeting a February opening for the speakeasy-style bar and restaurant with a menu centered around steaks and seafood.
• I’m not sure when this guy sleeps (or stops), but downtown Raleigh restaurant and bar owner Niall Hanley is switching from Irish to German in his latest venture in the Glenwood South district according to the Triangle Business Journal. Hanley will convert the space, which is an office building located at 614 Glenwood Avenue next to Harry’s Guitar Shop, into a two-story restaurant and bar, or Bier Garten.
• While we cannot confirm this at this point, but New Raleigh suggested this week that the much-anticipated Gringo A Go-Go may be opening this weekend. Gringo is the creation of Ben Shelton, the chef who started Lilly’s Pizza in Raleigh. It is located in the former Ruben’s Downtown Diner spot at 100 N. Person Street.
• Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar has opened in Morrisivlle in the Park West Village Shopping Center according to their website. This marks their 7th location & the second in the Triangle.
• Right after our last post just before Thanksgiving reporting that Cameron Village’s Café Caturra was closing, we were able to confirm that Tazza Kitchen, a wood-fired cooking concept out of Virginia was moving in.
• The News & Observer reported that Happy + Hale, a fresh juice and salad delivery service and cart in downtown Raleigh, is opening a quick-service restaurant in early March. It will be located at 443 Fayetteville St., in one of those free-standing “pods” which was the former Collectors Gallery space in front of Bank of America.
• Also just before the holidays we got tipped off to the fact that a place called Despina’s Café, which offers homemade baked pastries, sandwiches, soups, salads, and desserts with a European influence, will open in early January at 8369 Creedmoor Road in Raleigh.
• In our last issue, we reported that City Barbeque, a chain based out of Ohio, has begun renovation of the former Cinelli’s Ristorante building at 1305 Kildaire Farm Road in Cary. Turns out they completely tore down the Cinellis’s building & are starting from scratch.
• The News & Observer is reporting that another location of Denny’s has opened in the former O’Charley’s spot at 4380 Fayetteville Road in Raleigh. Also on Fayetteville Raod (4205 Fayetteville Rd), a Chinese restaurant called Hibachi Buffet has opened in the former Mayflower Seafood building.
Durham, Orange & Chatham County Restaurant News
• Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar, which took over the Rockfish Seafood Grill space, is opening at The Streets at Southpoint on Dec. 10. Zinburger is an upscale burger restaurant that sells gourmet burgers paired with wine selections. With locations up and down the east coast.
• We got word last week that Gregoria’s Kitchen will be re-opening in their new location - 2701 Hillsborough Road in Durham - in early 2014.
• Things are taking shape over in Durham at Straw Valley Café. They are closed through December 9th to undergo renovations. According to their Facebook page they will be installing a new design, food, coffee and juice menu by day w/ fresh juice cocktails and wines!